Sunday, April 19, 2009

Catch up time again!

Wednesday:

I'm not a big Shiner fan, but this is a nice glass.

P1010637

P1010639

Thursday:

Fearing that the weather dudes might actually be right, I hit up a BSS ride I heard about at a Social Cycling ATX ride. I was planning to try out the driveway crits, but 70% chance of rain at 6 had me playing it safe

We did a lil' thang know as the Southeast Shuffle.

We did the 35 mile loop at a quick pace, since we were only 2.

Good ride out there. I had never really ridden out south east.

5th st. has a nice neighborhood

P1010641

We passed by the landfill that is challenging Mt. Bonnell for highest peak status.

P1010644

Right next door to trash mountain is a wildlife sanctuary setup by the curators of trash mountain. Go figure.

P1010647

P1010646

Good ride.

Thursday continues, and the percent chances for rain kept dropping by the hour on weather.com

Looks like I'm going racing after all...

The crits out there are fast and fun.

I didn't have a chance to pre ride the course, so it was kinda tough, but really fun learning and racing on a course at the same time.

I stayed up front for about 4 laps. It was alot of fun chasing down the breaks that seem to happen 2-3 times per lap.

I was sitting in third, when I kinda lost my line and got caught right on the edge of the pavement. Not wanting to risk a crash, I road on to the dirt and jumped back onto the track. By the time I was back, the pack was pretty much gone.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=0BN2004S000159&po=159

I learned alot, and had a great time. I will be returning.

DB of the cross club races was out there. I chatted him up while I rehydrated with some Modelos.

Now it has been a long day. About 50 miles of road riding and a Crit, but I still wanted to head out to the Social Cycling ATX ride.

P1010648

Another good crowd. This time it was more of a riders ride.

We took a whole bunch of sidewalk trails to get out to the golf course on Lake Austin.

Once out there, we ran around the cart trails.

I had never ridden a bike on a golf course, good stuff.

After regrouping, it was off to Deep Eddy Cabaret.

A beer later, and I was feeling the days wear.

Time to feed the gut worm.

P1010649

Cyclebum suggestion:

Go to Hai Ky.
Get the Ap Chao. #96 for chicken/shrimp/beef. #101 for Tofu.
Get it spicy.
Eat it.
Feel blissful.

Friday:

I had an appointment to check up on my broken wrist.

I was expecting to need a few more weeks in a cast, but my wolverine-like mutant healing powers had me healed in 5 and a half weeks.

The doc was impressed.

CHECK OUT THE WICKED CAST TAN!!!!!

P1010650

I still was going to need 2 weeks in a splint.

Getting the cast off was awesome, but it was much more comfortable when riding intensely or for a long time.

So naturally, I decided to modify the cast and just tape it on when I needed to.

P1010693

And what do you know, DB decides to call a cross club race Friday morning for that night.

Another coincidence was that I was expecting my NiteRider MiNewt USB also on Friday.

Usually we get our shipments between 12-2pm. Have for years. However, it seems we have a new guy that either takes a super long time, or has changed the order of drop offs. I didn't get the uncharged light till 620. I was worried that the 2 hours I had to charge it would not be enough, but it was.

I prepared my body as usual.

Half a Six
DZ Nutz
Elite Thermogel

It was a great night for racing. The trails were wet, and the creeks running.

The start was on shoal creek near pease park.

On the way out there, we had one person fall on slippery sidewalk, and I fell on a wooden bridge.

The two creek crossings on shoal creek were awesome. About crotch level, murky and running quick, they were fun.

There is another wood bridge on LBL near congress. I didn't learn my lesson apparently, because I fell AGAIN. At this point, I'm thinking I shouldn't have raced on tires with 3 miles of break-in. Either way, I popped back up and managed to stay in third.

I was cruising along in 2nd/3rd for a few fast laps. Before the last lap I turned up the heat on the run-up and was in first as we crossed the Ped bridge for the last lap.

I relaxed a bit and sat in 2nd till the last leg of the trail. I was hoping to go for the win with the run-up and sprint. Under the first st. bridge, I turned it up. Got the group to chase me. At the end of the push, myself and the 1st place had put some space between us and the 3rd place. Unfortunately, the guy in first took a wrong turn right before the run-up and I followed. The wrong turn is normally the right turn in these races, but construction complicated the course, so I don't blame him at all. In the end, the guy in third got first, and I got third. Great race!

I got my entry back, and another skull cap. I saved my winnings for the next pint night, and gifted my skull cap to a deserving Texas 4000 rider.

Thanks Brooks for comin out and getting some pics. I like the sky in this first one.

Also, I heard that someone was cheering me on and/or may have even yelled my name. I assure you that I am as well trained as even the most lowly dog. In fact, I do know my name, but I am sorry I didn't notice it.



P1010662
P1010660
P1010661
P1010653
P1010659

Saturday:

I took it kinda easy. And by take it easy I mean limiting myself to only commuting, which turned out to be 30 miles...

I cleaned and oiled the rig also.

That night went downtown with a friend. Got a beer at Gingerman, and ate at 219.

I somehow convinced her to check out the hot rods on south congress.

P1010681

Does it surprise you that I like and/or appreciate cars? I am not anti-car, I just don't like certain aspects of cars and car drivers. It is a complicated subject for me. Meet me at a pint night for details.

These cars and their owners reminded me of the cycling sub culture in a way.

These are lifestyle motorhead's cars. They aren't rich professionals. They cant afford all the "bling" and polish, but they are serious about their car, and love what they do. That is cool.

P1010664

P1010683

More pics of HERE

Sunday I was a plain old bum

3 comments:

  1. That's a badass pic from the Driveway, and looks like the cross race was some good riding as well!

    Oh, and I went to Hai Ky and had the 96, and you were right. Fuckin' delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a sweet glass ... what pint place did that come from?

    ReplyDelete