Monday, October 26, 2009

Race Report

No, not the DD one. I mean its been like a week, who gives a rodent's behind.

Ok, so I did a 7 lap/42 mile circuit race back "home".

If you don't know me, you might not understand what a weird kind of racer (ok person) I am.

Do not assume I am some super-duper serious dork racer boi.

I am a cyclist that likes going fast and racing, but not at the expense of having a good time while doing it or in my non-cycling life.

That is why I will be able to laugh hysterically at these pictures now, and probably way more in the future.


(Photos by Daniel L. ThyNeighborsBike, CLICK for other pics)

I think there is a serious picture somewhere, but it is probably hiding.

Ok now to the horrible, horrible details.

Started off nice and relaxed. The pace increased after about a mile, and the first attack soon after that. In small open category races, a early attack sometimes is simply to weed out people.

At the beginning of the second lap, two small groups tried a break, but were reeled in quick.

Towards the end of the second lap, a group of five went for it. I was in position to chase if I wanted, but I decided not to.

I figured it was way to early to hold a break till the end.

Well, I was wrong.

Those five apparently worked together very well. Two of the five were dropped from the break by the end of the 5th lap, but others ended in a sprint.

On the other hand, the peloton never worked together.

I tried talking to people, but it just didn't happen.

That was some serious strategy and cooperation fellas, nice work.

I figure, oh well, I'll go for good finish in the group.

On the last lap, the pace got hot on this nice curve. So nice, that I cramped up the hammies.

Both of them.

Now, I have cramped up crazy after a race, but never during. It was not cool.

Overall, good stuff. Good competition, and lessons learned.

more coal in the boiler...

1 comment:

  1. yeah i need to bike race more next year. and i too take that same 'serious' approach. all i know is 2010 is the year of the bike! i gotsta get me some skills. or at least power :/

    i didn't manage too bad yesterday though, at least i didn't look too tri dorky with my non race wheel'n bike. let's have a beer to celebrate this week! email me your # and i'll meet you at jax or whatever.

    ReplyDelete